Saturday, March 12, 2005


After watching the new EP III trailer last night, I'm in a very Vader mood. I got my art returns recently for an issue of Empire I did last year. Here is one of my favorite pages-- sometimes the details and subtleties can get lost in the printing which (of course) can be frustrating. That's why it's cool to be able to share what the penciled page actually looks like-- I think you can see some of the details on his chest box and clothing folds on his tunic.  Posted by Hello

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How long does it take to draw a great picture of Vader like that? Do you have to concentrate on all of the details, or do they just come naturally? Love it, as usual, Brian :)

9:11 AM  
Blogger BrianChing said...

It's kind of a long process to draw Vader. He's a lot more difficult than I thought he would be. The original actor, David Prowse, was a huge weiglifter so getting the proportions right can take some time. Next, the helmet needs to be the right size as well-- if it's too big he looks like Dark Helmet from Spaceballs and if it's too small he just looks silly. Once I get those things roughed in the way I like it, the rest is fairly easy. This page probably took about 11-12 hours because it's pretty light on the background.

Are you an artist, Kenlin?

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't say I really am, but what motivates you to draw Vader for 12 hours? I would start off nobly wanting to make a brilliant picture, but I'd drift off withing a few hours :D

I suppose the money helps ;)

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home