Tuesday, October 04, 2005


Ahhh, it's the double pager (pages 2-3) of all the destruction the Empire has unleashed on these poor rebels. Despite killing a bunch of good guys, I rather enjoyed drawing this page. It's not often that we put double page speads into the book and sometimes it's kind of an odd proportion to work in. It's just a really large surface to draw on with such a tiny pointed pencil. Usually, if you're going to work in this scale you'll use a soft lead pencil that spreads easily and creates big shapes. But in order to keep the detail tight and the image free of smudges I draw with an H lead and a drafting lead holder. The point is very fine (equivalent to a .3 mm lead from a mechanical pencil) and gives me all the detail I need. I probably spent close to 4 days on this-- which isn't half bad if you average it to 2 days per side.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you do double pages? *squints at picture*

7:51 AM  
Blogger BrianChing said...

Not sure what you mean, quinnocent. Technically, it's just two pieces of 11x17 inch drawing paper taped together on the back.

The tough part is just coming up with a drawing not too obscured by the seam in the middle-- this can get tricky when the printer doesn't align it correctly. That's why we try to avoid putting a face on the center.


-Brian

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking in terms of my scanner trying to fit two pieces of board together and making the picture not look like it has the seam. ;)

2:59 PM  
Blogger BrianChing said...

Ahhh, I see. The trick is to use photoshop to get rid of the seam. I'm not the most proficient guy at using photoshop but I use a combination of the levels ( to enhance the white parts and get rid of smudges), eraser tool, and rubber stamp tool to hide the seam and make it all look clean. Also, after all of that I'll use the pencil or brush tool to smooth out any lines that aren't working out.

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home