Thursday, August 06, 2009

KOTOR #47 preview


Here's a little step by step explanation of my work process. It's kind of tedious and not many people work this way but I'm comfortable with it and it works for me.

I recently completed issue #47 of KOTOR. Unfortunately, I can't show the rest of the page but I can share part of it, at least the part with Rohlan in it.

In step A, I do a very rough sketch of him on 11 x 17 copy paper. It's cheap and easy to work on. When the sketch is clear enough to me and I'm relatively happy with the pose I move on to step B.

In step B, I take a pen (uniball .7 vision-- I just love the free ink flow) and do a cleaned up version of the rough. When the pen drawing is done, I take a sharpie and do an outline of the figure. This helps me separate the figure from the background.

In step C, I take a fresh sheet of 11 x 17 bristol art board (from Dark Horse) and put if over the pen drawing. I put them on top of the lightbox and begin outlining it all in pencil. I use a .3 mm mechanical pencil with H lead.

In step D, I finish off the rendering scan the page into Photoshop. After a quick clean up I send the page in for approval. From there it goes off to letters and colors.

That's it, pretty easy!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Rodrigo said...

Hi Brian.
This step by step you post here is amazing and very helpful man, because this allows us to know how the professionals like you works.
Thanks for share with us.

12:40 AM  
Anonymous ralltiiri said...

Do you use references for poses? I recently checked out a book that says most comic artists do.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Alberto Di Francisco said...

I loved your pages in B&w. Very good to see how they think a piece and evolves, and the importance os initial structure in the final art.
Regards from Argentina!

Alberto
http://albertodifrancisco.blogspot.com

1:24 PM  
Blogger BrianChing said...

Thanks for the comments. I know there are some aspiring artists who lurk around here and sometimes it's nice to see how other guys work. Maybe it can be helpful with your process as well :)


I heard that a few other guys work like this. I know Adam Hughes and J Scott Campbell work with a lightbox as well.

I sometimes use magazine photos or I'll even sometimes pause movies to help out with poses. Most of the time I just look in the mirror. Especially with hands and facial expressions.


Thanks,

-B

2:42 PM  
Blogger Alberto Di Francisco said...

Mr. Ching: Thank you very much for your tips!, they are very useful to those around, but not commercially, we aim to improve our styles. It would be good to expose, if possible, parts of these processes more often.
Obviously, your style is an excellent role model.
Greetings!

Alberto
(Argentina)

8:34 AM  
Blogger st3ady said...

Thanks for the explanation! Great process and really diggin your artwork. Thanks for including the type of pen you use, I'll try to find one and give it a shot.

Keep it up in KOTOR!

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home