Saturday, May 21, 2005


... a friend of mine suggested I do an evil Jar Jar. Click here for a larger version.

I attended a book signing at the Vroman's out here in Southern California on Friday night. The art crew from ILM was there signing their Art Of Star Wars book-- Ryan Church, Feng Zhu, Stephan Martiniere, and (one of my art heroes) Iain McCaig was there. Well, I decided to bring my little Jar Jar drawing with me to share with Mr. McCaig and see what he had to say. He was extremely gracious and sincere in his critique and although we spoke very briefly, he helped me a lot and inspired me to do better-- it was just a very cool thing for me to meet him.

Before the signing, the guys answered a bunch of questions from the crowd-- things like their thought process when designing characters, vehicles, and environments for such a huge movie-- how the stress can get to you if you think about it too much. These guys are the "cream of the crop" and at the top of the biggest movie franchise of all time-- it was good to hear that they still get nervous.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That is extremely cool.

Wait, Jar Jar... cool? :O ;)

Do you mind if I have a go at colouring him? He's so perfect :D

2:40 PM  
Blogger BrianChing said...

I know, I had the same reaction before I started the piece but it was actually kind of fun to turn Jar Jar into something else.

Send me the colored piece when you're done and I'll post it up here.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Jhonsun said...

Hey Brian, can you give us any information on the future of the Star Wars comics now that ROTS has been released? Is Dark Horse going to keep the Empire and Republic series going or are they going to do something different?

9:24 PM  
Blogger BrianChing said...

I can't say anything about it yet. Dark Horse wants to keep things quiet until they're ready to make an announcement. Hopefully they'll say at the San Diego Comic-Con (that's typically when all big anouncements are made) in mid July.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home