Sunday, May 21, 2006

Art Supplies


I've gotten a few questions about the type of pencils, erasers, etc that I use for work. Some artists use #2 pencils and others use $25 mechanical pencils. It honestly doesn't matter what you use-- as long as you are comfortable with it.

1) Tru-Point Lead Pointer for drafting pencil lead. This thing works great! It's the best lead pointer I've ever used. It works very smoothly and always gives me such a pointy tip. The only drawback is that it's a bit of a pain to empty the graphite.

2) Koh-I-Noor Drafting Pencil. I like using these drafting pencils to get the variety of line weights. The line thickness changes as the lead dulls. I use H lead and I go through about 12-14 leads per month.

I think I got this from Top Cow years ago. They used to supply us with all of our art supplies. Anyways, I remember grabbing 3 of these from the supply room because I tend to grip the pencil pretty tightly and press down hard as well-- and I would break these every few months. I've been lucky with this one- it's lasted me at least 4 years now.

3) Alvin Draft/Matic 0.3mm lead mechanical pencil. I use this for really fine background detail-- the only thing is that the line weight stays pretty uniform throughout the drawing.

4) Sakura Electric Eraser. I picked this up about 6 months ago and wondered why I didn't do so years ago. This thing is awesome-- I can't live without it now.

5) Tuff Stuff Eraser Stick. Great at erasing really small parts of the drawing.

6) Kneaded Eraser. I can't live without this thing either. I go through about one a month.

7) C-Thru Ruler.


That's it. The penciler's supplies are pretty simple.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"1) Tru-Point Lead Pointer for drafting pencil lead."

... What does that do then?

11:11 AM  
Blogger BrianChing said...

Hey Quin,

It's basically a pencil sharpener. It just gives the lead a nice sharp tip.

-B

7:16 PM  
Blogger starthunder said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely interested in the tools and materials used in the trade. I'm generally pretty heavy handed too, but when I'm working rough sketches, I tend to be looser and lighter.

I'd be interested to hear about the types and sizes of paper you use throughout your processes too. Maybe if I look through your blog more I'll find that?

Loving KOTOR BTW.

6:16 PM  
Blogger BrianChing said...

jk-

I used to break my leads and pencils all the time, but I've learned to soften up a little. When you are drawing for hours a day, it can be murder on your hand and forearm to push down so hard.

The bigger companies like Dark Horse, Marvel, DC, and Image give you paper to draw on-- it's usually 2 ply bristol measuring 11 x 17 inches (with a "live" area of 10 x 15 inches- meaning anything within that area will not be cut off during the printing).

Image provided us with bristol that had a smooth finish-- nice and all but the pencil glides over the surface too easily for my preference. The Dark Horse paper has a nice rough finish that allows me to feel more control with my pencil-- kind of hard to explain, you just need to try it yourself. The only problem with the Dark Horse paper is that it's a little thin and not so forgiving when you keep making mistakes and keep having to erase.

Glad you like KOTOR! I am doing covers now so hopefully, I will be able to put those up soon.


-Brian

8:55 PM  
Blogger starthunder said...

Thanks a lot for the reply. I know just what you mean with the paper textures. I don't care for smooth either. And you do get to draw a bit larger than the actual print size then. Very cool.

10:41 PM  
Blogger BrianChing said...

jk-

We don't have to always draw in the larger format. It is preference really. With the quality of scanning being so good now, you can draw actual size of the printed comic now and no one would even notice. It's easier for me to draw big than it is to go small, it's easier on my eyes and my hand. It's also a bit more time consuming but I'm used to it now.

-Brian

11:26 PM  
Blogger starthunder said...

Right.. I would really want to draw larger. That would be my preference.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Ceceofrps said...

Goood read

2:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home